Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cracked Set Screw

On Fri, 18 May 2018 23:27:23 -0500, Robert Nichols
wrote:

On 05/18/2018 01:03 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I was taking a bunch of tool holders out of service the other day, and I couldn't get the set screw out of one in order to push the tool out.* It felt like the set screw was rounded out, but the set screw looks ok, and a long handle hex key seemed to feel ok in the hole.

This morning after firing up the shop and getting jobs cutting I took a look at it, and the set screw is cracked right down the side.* When I try to turn the screw the crack widens up and the wrench pops around inside the hole.* Its not a big deal I guess.* These tool holders only sell for around $50 used, but hey.* $50 is $50.

Any suggestions.* I have considered trying to tap in an oversized hex key, but its right there.* I have a drawer full but I haven't found that one that feels like it almost wants to fit.

Is there enough space to use a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool to cut off the part that's pressing on the toolbit? That would take the pressure off and should allow the screw to come out easily.

Excellent idea! Even if the screw doesnt turn..makes it much easier
to drill it out. Get it thin enough..then turn a bolt down into it
and it will collapse and push through.

---