Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_2_] Meanie[_2_] is offline

Default Is this car tire repair too close to the sidewall or not?

On 5/19/2018 4:57 PM, Frank Weg wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2018 10:53:26 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

The tread wear indicator bars are still below the tread level - so
it should pass the "penny test" - but the tire IS getting worn.

Depending on the usage, it could well last another season, but wet
traction will be compromised somewhat. I'd be more worried about the
AGE - and hardening of the rubber. Check the sidewall date code. If
over 6 years old, go shopping.

I think my earlier pictures must have been really bad
http://i.cubeupload.com/hL4S7k.jpg

because the tire has, I think, plenty of tread,
http://i.cubeupload.com/QhfOze.jpg

Though not directed to me, I'll answer,

Agreed. Must have been bad angles and/or lighting. Tread looks very good.

as you noticed,
http://i.cubeupload.com/m7V4v8.jpg

where the tread is nowhere near the wear bars
http://i.cubeupload.com/9JuDSK.jpg

unless I'm missing something.
http://i.cubeupload.com/QAXcRZ.jpg

I'm more worried about two things that could signify "danger".

1. I put glue on the patch after peeling off the blue plastic, where I
think I wasn't supposed to do that (the patch seems to be holding though).

2. I'm mostly asking about how close is too close to the shoulder.

As I stated in my reply below, Too close is within the 1" from the edge.
You provided a link with the description, why are you then asking?

This graphic shows it is clearly too far over the edge of the safe area.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...ps9ls6bfrl.jpg
https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-ma...ce/tire-repair
https://www.monroetire.com/tire-center/tire-repair.aspx

But this graphic shows it is right on the edge of the safe area.
https://www.americastire.com/learn/tire-repair
https://i.stack.imgur.com/90u52.jpg
https://www.kwik-fit.com/assets/blog...air%20area.png

The problem is that there isn't any consistency to that advice.
Which is why I ask you and provided the pictures.

What do you think about the proximity to the shoulder on that repair?

As others have said and agreed, your repair looks good. I think you're
worrying too much about it. If it's holding air, burn rubber, drag race
it, do stunts on two wheels, the tire will be fine.