Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default The Morris battery. Again.

On Sat, 19 May 2018 19:23:15 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 18/05/2018 22:45, Johnny B Good wrote:

They are both generators - but the definition of a dynamo is a
generator which produces DC by use of a commutator.

snip

That was very long but very very interesting. Full of facts.

Thanks for that, Bill.

Pretty well all of that info is available[1] over the internet
(wikipedia is a good starting point for those interested in such
technicalities[1]). Indeed, until I checked out 'my facts', I hadn't
quite realised just how serious an issue there was in drawing power via
the commutator/brush gear - at least half of each of those old Edison
100v dynamos you see archive pictures of are just to accommodate the
several banks of commutators/brush sets required to draw their designed
amperage.

[1] Blimey! I managed to spell "technicalities" correctly first go, yet
still managed to misspell "available". :-( :-)

--
Johnny B Good