Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Is this car tire repair too close to the sidewall or not?

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 8:28:54 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 5/19/2018 7:15 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/19/2018 2:25 AM, Frank Weg wrote:
Just repaired this tire and was wondering since it seems borderline.
http://i.cubeupload.com/ephXTU.jpg

What do you think about the sidewall proximity?
http://i.cubeupload.com/dVRzSE.jpg

I plugged it with a string tie from the outside.
http://i.cubeupload.com/QTSFM6.jpg

After cutting both sides flush, I patched it from the inside.
http://i.cubeupload.com/Pf9S1J.jpg

I accidentally got the rubber cement on the patch, but it seems to hold.
http://i.cubeupload.com/f260b6.jpg

The main question is whether the hole is too close to the sidewall.

Â* As long as it's in the tread belt you should be OK .

Looked OK to me to. Not sure tire would pass the Lincoln penny head
test though - looks pretty worn.

It's not down to the replacement wear indicator that you can see in the photo.
Exactly how much is left, hard to say because it's a vertical shot.
They would definitely pass the penny test on the section we can see,
I'm guessing there is about 4/32 left. The Lincoln test is 2/32, which
is the wear indicator.