Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default Cracked Set Screw

On 05/18/2018 01:03 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I was taking a bunch of tool holders out of service the other day, and I couldn't get the set screw out of one in order to push the tool out.Â* It felt like the set screw was rounded out, but the set screw looks ok, and a long handle hex key seemed to feel ok in the hole.

This morning after firing up the shop and getting jobs cutting I took a look at it, and the set screw is cracked right down the side.Â* When I try to turn the screw the crack widens up and the wrench pops around inside the hole.Â* Its not a big deal I guess.Â* These tool holders only sell for around $50 used, but hey.Â* $50 is $50.

Any suggestions.Â* I have considered trying to tap in an oversized hex key, but its right there.Â* I have a drawer full but I haven't found that one that feels like it almost wants to fit.

Is there enough space to use a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool to cut off the part that's pressing on the toolbit? That would take the pressure off and should allow the screw to come out easily.