Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick the antique guy Rick the antique guy is offline

Default used lumber

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 10:12:57 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 4:13:40 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

In SW VA and E TN, the small local mills cut similar timbers for coal
mines and some for ties; could get quite good pricing on those as
compared to 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 lumber...

Yep. If you have a nearby mill, a good bargain might be a short drive away.

I've used a local mill for 30+ yrs. This walnut log - https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream - and part of another cost $125 to mill. We hit 2 nails, so included in that price was $26 each for 2 Mizer bandsaw blades. I suppose it cost $150-$200 to deliver the logs to the mill. I calculated I got 410 bf ft of lumber. Similar pricing for other logs I've had milled over the years.

Caveats:
1) It's convenient to have space and time for drying green wood.
2) Our nut trees/lumber, down here, have tendency to twist and warp, more so, than lumber further north. I've always understood our wet climate and shorter (winter) dormant period makes for these nut woods/lumber to have a greater tendency to warp and twist, more so than northern nut woods.
3) Sometimes, it's lots of work doing the finish milling. I don't know if kiln drying would reduce the warping and twisting. I've never had lumber kiln dried. *Likewise, sometimes, it's lots of work prepping salvaged lumber.
4) The older you get, doing those logging and salvaging tasks seem to be more work, than play, as it was when younger. So, if you have the space, gather your play-lumber before you get too old.... or lazy.

Another economical way to obtain used (specifically cabinet) lumber is to go steal it from your brother's barn, when he's not home.

Sonny

I love Your Project Pictures Sonny .
You really make use of the Wood's unique Charecter in your Artful pieces.
I bet You make lot's of sawdust and chips, Great for mulching too !

Me I just fix antiques most of them i ger free a lot of basket cases and some need parts made .
I hardly ever throw away wood.
I'll pickup a lot of old wood parts at the recycling center to make replacement parts.
Can't get enough of that good old hardwood.
That old european furniture wood is really hard to match.
Veneers now that's a whole different subject.I collect all I can of that stuff I steam it off with a clothing steam iron putty knives and plaster trowels. lots a work
I think Art is hard to price sometimes I make pennies per hour.

Keep a Goin' Sonny
rick B.