cwe

Default ****ed off at th thermostat

Ignoramus28269 wrote in message
Recently, one day before we had to go on vacation, our house
thermostat quietly stopped telling the furnace to turn on and quietly
displayed a LOW BATTERY warning. We noticed it because it started
getting cold. A change of battery took care of it.

I am mad as hell. What if such a thing happened while we were on
vacation? The house would freeze! (we are in northern IL) And then
pipes would burst!

I have a heat thermostat wired in parallel with the digital thermostat,
and a AC thermostat in series with it. This way if the temperature goes
above 24C the furnace will shut down (provided it's a control fault), or
below 10C the furnace will fire up.

Also, when we go away for more than a few days I shut off the pump, and
drain the pressure system. I then throw a couple thick blankets over the
pump and pressure tank. Down in the basement, it'd take a couple of weeks
to freeze anyways. (Basement is usually the last place to freeze up)

-- Charlie