Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default used lumber

Sonny writes:
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 4:13:40 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

In SW VA and E TN, the small local mills cut similar timbers for coal=20
mines and some for ties; could get quite good pricing on those as=20
compared to 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 lumber...
=20

Yep. If you have a nearby mill, a good bargain might be a short drive awa=
y.

I've used a local mill for 30+ yrs. This walnut log - https://www.flickr.=
com/photos/43836144@N04/8141498429/in/photostream - and part of another co=
st $125 to mill. We hit 2 nails, so included in that price was $26 each fo=
r 2 Mizer bandsaw blades. I suppose it cost $150-$200 to deliver the logs=
to the mill. I calculated I got 410 bf ft of lumber. Similar pricing f=
or other logs I've had milled over the years.

Yeah, my dad has that luxury. Here's what he did with the
Walnut tree next to the house that he had milled:

http://www.lurndal.org/images/gfclock.jpg

He made three of them from the one tree.

All I have is Coastal Live Oak and Palm, neither of which make good
lumber, and only one is useful as firewood.