Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default used lumber

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 4:13:40 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

In SW VA and E TN, the small local mills cut similar timbers for coal
mines and some for ties; could get quite good pricing on those as
compared to 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 lumber...

Yep. If you have a nearby mill, a good bargain might be a short drive away.

I've used a local mill for 30+ yrs. This walnut log - https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream - and part of another cost $125 to mill. We hit 2 nails, so included in that price was $26 each for 2 Mizer bandsaw blades. I suppose it cost $150-$200 to deliver the logs to the mill. I calculated I got 410 bf ft of lumber. Similar pricing for other logs I've had milled over the years.

Caveats:
1) It's convenient to have space and time for drying green wood.
2) Our nut trees/lumber, down here, have tendency to twist and warp, more so, than lumber further north. I've always understood our wet climate and shorter (winter) dormant period makes for these nut woods/lumber to have a greater tendency to warp and twist, more so than northern nut woods.
3) Sometimes, it's lots of work doing the finish milling. I don't know if kiln drying would reduce the warping and twisting. I've never had lumber kiln dried. *Likewise, sometimes, it's lots of work prepping salvaged lumber.
4) The older you get, doing those logging and salvaging tasks seem to be more work, than play, as it was when younger. So, if you have the space, gather your play-lumber before you get too old.... or lazy.

Another economical way to obtain used (specifically cabinet) lumber is to go steal it from your brother's barn, when he's not home.

Sonny