Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Rivet nuts.

On 17/05/2018 09:29, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2018 00:30:09 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
newshound wrote:
I bought similar for M3 - as I said earlier all too easy to shear off
the mandrel. This type which you screw rather than compressing handles
may be slightly easier, but not foolproof. Very difficult to 'feel'
the correct setting, I found.

An ideal tool would have a foolproof way of setting the correct amount
of 'pull' to set the rivnut *and* protect the mandrel.

Other thing is spare mandrels for those cost a lot more than for the
mass produced lever types.

The nice thing about the Memfast ones is that the mandrel is just a
standard high tensile socket head screw, so cheap and easy to replace
when they are knackered.

Ah - right. Not the same as the wheel one I have, then. Sadly their
website doesn't seem to show them that well.

A spinoff thought is maybe a 'better' use for some Rivet nuts may be
my upcoming wood to steel gate post swap.

They are probably ideal for mounting gate stops and hinges etc, or
possibly hinge mounting 'plates' so that I can still get some level of
adjustment (slotted holes)?

Cheers, T i m

Oh, you are going to use *posh* hinges then, not good old farmers gate
types which you adjust by adding washers to the pin and/or via the nuts
on the ring stud.

:-)

---