Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Table Saw Router Insert Makes Life So Easy

On 5/16/18 8:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 5:25:35 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
I shared the pics of the router table extension I made for my table
saw several years back. https://goo.gl/photos/zoyUGmwcZS8jGP5KA

But I never realized how convenient this is until having to do
some router work without it, a few weeks ago.

I made a quick video of some rabbet cutting I did for the shelves
I'm making. Using the table saw and its rip guide really makes the
job quick and easy. I don't need a separate router table anymore so
it really frees up space in the shop. If you have a tight shop and
need a router table, consider this set-up if you have a decent
sized table saw. x

https://youtu.be/yNdcdaDxwT0

I forgot to ask...

Why didn't you center your insert?

I assume you're referring to the placement of the router to the front
and back of the table.
Good question. I originally had it the same distance from the front as
the table-saw blade. But then I figured that I was always leaning
forward on the tables saw when feeding stock through the blade.

Also, given the fact that I am often cutting smaller pieces on the
router, I just wanted more control and a more upright position when
using the router.

I also considered the fact that the most important area for support on
the saw or router was on the out-feed side where you can't reach when
using the saw or router. Since I have a long out-feed table, I decided
to move the router a bit forward.

This meant that I could control small pieces with comfort and control.
And if I had longer pieces, they would be supported on the out-feed end,
while I could always use a roller support on the in-feed side, while
maintaining physical control with my hands.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--