Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rivet nuts.

In article ,
newshound wrote:
I bought similar for M3 - as I said earlier all too easy to shear off
the mandrel. This type which you screw rather than compressing handles
may be slightly easier, but not foolproof. Very difficult to 'feel'
the correct setting, I found.

An ideal tool would have a foolproof way of setting the correct amount
of 'pull' to set the rivnut *and* protect the mandrel.

Other thing is spare mandrels for those cost a lot more than for the
mass produced lever types.

The nice thing about the Memfast ones is that the mandrel is just a
standard high tensile socket head screw, so cheap and easy to replace
when they are knackered.

Ah - right. Not the same as the wheel one I have, then. Sadly their
website doesn't seem to show them that well.

As I explained above, although the ones relying
on rotation rather than pulling are theoretically inferior, provided you
put moly disulphide on the threads they are not too bad. I've never gone
up as far as M10, though.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.