Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default used lumber

dpb writes:
On 5/15/2018 6:14 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

At $12 each for 8bf, that's less than $2.00/BF, which doesn't seem
a bad deal at all.

For comparative value I just day-before-yesterday bought 12
full-dimension 3x12x12 oak oil-field timbers from local lumber yard for
$488 (before tax) which works out at $1.13/bft +/-.

Were mix of red/white; I used 10 for the new stock tanks platform base,
two were so nice I ended up saving them for other purposes as had run
low on stuff over 5/4 and have ideas of needing some larger dimension
material for cabinet bases here relatively soon...

Out here in sunny california, there isn't much reclaimed lumber, and
when there is, it's not cheap (e.g. aforementioned doug fir), but
can be pretty.

I'd love 12/4 wide oak timbers for 1.13 bft.