Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Rivet nuts.

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
I recently helped someone doing a lot of rivnut fixings on a frame
assembly . The tool used was from Memfast
http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vcat1.asp?cat=2250003430

Tool was about £150 with a complete set of mandrels but worked very
well including for 10mm steel rivnuts (although 10mm were moderately
hard work).

I bought similar for M3 - as I said earlier all too easy to shear off the
mandrel. This type which you screw rather than compressing handles may be
slightly easier, but not foolproof. Very difficult to 'feel' the correct
setting, I found.

An ideal tool would have a foolproof way of setting the correct amount of
'pull' to set the rivnut *and* protect the mandrel.

Other thing is spare mandrels for those cost a lot more than for the mass
produced lever types.

The nice thing about the Memfast ones is that the mandrel is just a
standard high tensile socket head screw, so cheap and easy to replace
when they are knackered. As I explained above, although the ones relying
on rotation rather than pulling are theoretically inferior, provided you
put moly disulphide on the threads they are not too bad. I've never gone
up as far as M10, though.

So saying, I've never used large ones like M10. But using a spanner etc to
cut the effort down is still going to make it possible to shear the
mandrel - if the rivnut is secured to the best 'tightness'

---