Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repairing a Bandsaw Blade

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 12:18:48 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

I decided to cut an inch out of the blade, but haven't done it yet. I
got the geometry for cutting and silver soldering figured out I think.
However I am confused about cooling the blade afterwards. Some guys use
a wet rag and fast cool it. Others seem to indicate that you should
slow cool it and anneal it. To the point that they play a flame over
the area around the repair to slow the cooling.

What have you done? How did it work out?

I have made up bandsaw blades both with a bandsaw welder and by silver soldering.

For silver solderirg you need to make a simple jig to hold the pieces in alignment and with the area being soldered out in the open so the heat is not sucked away by the jig.

Next you need to scarf the blade so you have a fairly large area being soldered.
I just flip one end around and clamp it to the other piece so both ends can be scarfed at the same time using a bench grinder. After that you clamp the blade in the fixture , apply flux and silver solder it. A good propane torch will work. I let it cool a bit before putting a wet rag on it to cool it so I do not burn my hand.

Dan