Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_91_] Bill[_91_] is offline

Default used lumber

wrote:
On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 6:14:33 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Puckdropper writes:

https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/snow-fence/

It might be ok if you can make use of those boards as-is, but if you're
going to plane them down and get to the nice wood underneath you might as
well just buy what you want from the lumber yard.

Given it's sourced from the west, it's likely that the boards
are douglas fir. Perhaps even some old-growth. Very pretty,
durable wood when surfaced. May even be a few quarter sawn.

At $12 each for 8bf, that's less than $2.00/BF, which doesn't seem
a bad deal at all.

$1.50 board foot. Good price if you have a need for 2" thick wood. Problem is most furniture and other wood items use 3/4 or 4/4 wood. Not 8/4. So to get the right thickness, you have to plane it in half.

You mean you get to cut it in half and get two boards!
I'm only joking, the stuff is probably plenty warped.

You're sort of paying double the price. But even $3.00 board
foot is not outrageous.

But the big problem I see is the description says there are bolt holes in the wood. Bolt holes in 8 foot lengths of wood mean you end up with lots of 2-3-4 foot lengths of wood to use. Short boards aren't too useful.