Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Confused about switching for a electric shower extractor fan.

On 13/05/2018 23:45, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 13/05/2018 11:42, me wrote:
It seems to me that ideally the shower extractor fan should come on
automatically when the shower is switched on using the power control on
the shower unit itself. But I don't see being able to do that because it
would involve getting into the shower unit and connecting to the
switched side of the shower unit switch. Now I could probably do this
but it seems it's not what is normal practice.

So what's the normal way of doing things? If I connect to operate from
the light switch then what about in the daytime when you use the shower
and want the extractor running but don't need the light on? Is it just
expected that any time you use a shower you must have the light on no
matter the time of day?

And as the regs require this ventilation when the shower is in use
surely there's no point operating the extractor from a light switch
because then it doesn't have to be used.

All seems odd to me and as I said...I'm confused.

Put the fan on it's own switch.

Turn on fan when you want the fan on.

Turn off after use.

That is the remarkably primitive but transparent solution that I use.
Seeing the fan has an overrun timer there is a neon on the ceiling
switch for disambiguation.

I can also turn my lights on separately when I need to with the "other
switch".

I have decided after much thought, to call the "other switch" the light
switch.

--
Adam