Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default 3kw comet kiln-plug socket renewed 3 times...

On 15/05/2018 08:29, newshound wrote:
On 15/05/2018 07:57, Tricky Dicky wrote:
There appears to be two versions of the Comet Kiln, the ECO which
draws 3kW which should be fine using a 13A plug in a standard socket.
The other is a 5.5kW model for which a plug and socket is totally
inadequate. There should be a ratings plate somewhere on the kiln
check the wattage, although I would have thought your professional
electrician would have checked that first.

Richard

Good point.

The other thing I would suggest even for the 3 kW model is to get your
sparks to fit a "cooker" type breaker switch and then an industrial type
plug and socket like this:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

(This is what I did in a friend's business unit after he was getting
short life even from MK plugs and sockets that were running with a high
duty factor).

---

Or wire it straight in - as you would do with a cooker.
My big glass-fusing kiln (7kw or thereabouts) has its own cable straight
back to the consumer unit, a big isolating switch on the workshop wall,
and the same 'big cable' wired direct into the contactors.

Kilns and standard plug-type connectors don't mix - and, as they're
often left running, unattended - it's worthwhile doing the job properly
and safely.