Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Can LED bulbs be connected to a flasher?

On Mon, 14 May 2018 14:00:40 -0700, mike wrote:

On 5/14/2018 12:17 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/14/2018 02:08 PM, wrote:
A friend with a small retail store. He has two lighted signs with
changeable letters on them. One sign has a flasher on it. The other one
is steady ON. The flashing one has incandescent bulbs, the steady one
has CFL bulbs. He wanted the "steady ON" one to flash, so he put a
flasher on the plug. In a few days the CFL bulbs were dead.

I looked at it and told him he cant use a flasher on CFL bulbs. It burns
them out quickly. Rather than buying incandescent bulbs for it, I was
wondering if LED bulbs can handle a flasher? Does anyone know?

They should. I've been flashing LED holiday lights since 2005. I do not
see a higher failure rate than for those that stay on.

Holiday lights are typically a bunch of LED's in series to operate off
the line voltage.

Standard home LED lights have a converter/regulator that drives the LED's.
It's likely that the LED's are fine, but the electronics are failing
because of the surge current.

Household LEDS are a LOT more durable than CFL bulbs
CFL ballasts in general are JUNK