Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Can LED bulbs be connected to a flasher?

On 5/14/2018 3:08 PM, wrote:
A friend with a small retail store. He has two lighted signs with
changeable letters on them. One sign has a flasher on it. The other one
is steady ON. The flashing one has incandescent bulbs, the steady one
has CFL bulbs. He wanted the "steady ON" one to flash, so he put a
flasher on the plug. In a few days the CFL bulbs were dead.

I looked at it and told him he cant use a flasher on CFL bulbs. It burns
them out quickly. Rather than buying incandescent bulbs for it, I was
wondering if LED bulbs can handle a flasher? Does anyone know?

I've noticed CFL's in places like the bathroom where on and off for
short periods burn out faster. I assume it is thermal shock to other
components. CFL's and LED's also may have components that do not
outlast the bulb and those used may need more robust parts.