Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Kidde and First Alert ?

On Mon, 14 May 2018 14:23:39 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 14 May 2018 14:00:39 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Yeah, I suspect many old-timers never wore a seatbelt. In Florida, for canals, now that
most cars have electric windows, it's suggested you have a center punch to break out a
window. Unsnapping a seatbelt should be the least of your problems.
Though I was high-lined from my destroyer to a cruiser one time in the north Atlantic,
and couldn't unsnap myself from the bosun's chair when I arrived. I made sure to study the
belt buckle before the return trip. That chair is heavy, and I would have sunk like a
rock, despite the vest.

I'm not sure exactly when cars first starting having seat belts, but I
think it was in the 1970s. Before that, cars did not have them. My first
cars were from the 60s, and they did not have seat belts. Nor were they
required back then.

In my opinion, seatbelts are just revenue makers for law enforcement. I
can not see how they could make it a law to require them, since it's
only for the driver or passenger's own safety. But they did it because
they know it would be a money maker. I dont mind wearing them on the
highway when I'm driving at 55 or greater. But in town, when speed
limits are 30mph or less, it makes no sense to use them. I find it
really annoying when I am driving around town and stopping at a store
every 2 minutes and have to keep fussing with them seatbelts. But I know
that if I get caught without one, I can get a fine. I think that is just
wrong!

I don't feel comfortable without a seat belt, law or no law. Keeps you in a driving
position. Not so important now, but was with bench seats.
Had a buddy with a '58 Chevy take a corner and he was actually sitting in my lap,
hanging onto to the wheel with his left hand, until he could pull himself back.