Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Diagonal bracing for garden gate

On Mon, 14 May 2018 11:23:51 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 14/05/2018 10:02, Jim K wrote:
PeterC Wrote in message:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 07:14:42 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

I've been making a featheredge garden gate this weekend, and have just
got to fit the diagonal bracing. Most gates I've seen in the Sheds and
garden centres have the diagonals parallel - bottom left to centre
right, and centre left to top right. One or two have them meeting in the
middle - bottom left to centre right, and centre right to top left.

Any reason one should be better than the other?

Surely it's top to opening side and bottom to hinge side - L & R have
nothing to do with it.
I assume it's so that the brace is in compression and that avoids having the
joints under tension.

+1

If the catch for the gate is at the top then possibly the gate will tend
to twist about this point when forced open/closed so it's possibly
better to have the diagonal bracing ending where the gate latch is fitted.

Hadn't thought of that - also, more wood for the latch, especially in a high
gate where the latch might need to be a bit below centre for short people
(like a neighbour's daughter, carrying stuff).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away