Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_36_] Peter[_36_] is offline

Default Kidde and First Alert ?

On 5/14/2018 9:48 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2018 07:17:09 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 5/14/18 6:50 AM, Robert Rose wrote:
Hello,

Are these two outfits the same ?

Don't know.

One more reliable than the other ?

Thanks, R.

Consumer Reports has the First Alert 3120B and the Kidde PI2010
rated the same. The Kidde is subject to recall though. Both are
hardwired with battery backup. They rate the First Alert SA320CN
and the Kidde PI9010 the same. The Kidde is subject to recall.
The second pair are battery only. Stay away from ionization
detectors. The previous four detectors are all rated in the upper
80s. The best ionization detectors are rated at 55.

If you want cancer, be sure to put one in your home. All smoke
detectors contain a radioactive substance. They MIGHT save you in a
fire, while they WILL cause you cancer. I had a building inspection
done in my home, and they told me I was required to have smoke
detectors in my home. I told him that if he even brought one of them
cancer causing things within 100 yards from my home, I would have him
arrested. He said it's required to have them in all homes. I told him
to setup a court case, because I refuse to follow that requirement,
and to feel free to write that on my report, along with the reason I
refused. He wrote it down and he didn't say any more about it.

The risk from the radiation released by a properly installed ionization
smoke detector is essentially nil. The radiation released is alpha
radiation, which is so low in energy that is completely shielded by a
thin sheet of paper, and certainly by the capsule containing it within
the smoke alarm. Even if the smoke alarm were broken apart, your skin
would shield you completely. In any case, the total radiation released
is less than 1/3 typical background radiation, and much less than you
receive from a cosmic rays during a single typical commercial airline
flight. In terms of absolute risk, your risk of dying from a house
fire, an automobile trip of even a few blocks, lightning strike, or
insect or snake bite is exponentially higher than the risk of dying from
the radiation from a smoke detector. Smoke detector save lives.