Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Electricity check meter....

Andy Bennet wrote:

On 13/05/2018 14:33, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 13 May 2018 08:59:45 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Can anyone point me to the simplest way(s) to check my digital
leccy meter plse?

Something non invasive would be preferable.

TIA
--
Jim K

Plug in say a !Kw electric fire.
In an hour,the meter should have run up 1 Kwh
Make sure nothing else is turned on, eg refrigerators.

As mentioned elsewhere, not very accurate as the mains voltage moves
around all over the place. Our local voltage typically moves around
randomly between 225V and 245V quite rapidly.
The other point to consider is the power factor of the load.
Justy measuring the current and multiplying by 240V (or 230V or
whatever) will only give you a trur power reading for a pure resistive load.
Your electricity meter (fortunatly) measures V*I*cos(phi) - the phase
angle between the current and voltage.
You *could* stuff a capacitor across the mains, measure the current
(lets say make it a juicy 50A), but your meter will register **** all.
Excellent way of diddling the leccy company - except none of that power
is any use to you.

Because, of course, it is not power!

--

Roger Hayter