Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Rivet nuts.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Needs to be a very
high quality steel used to pull it tight - a normal bolt will likely not
be strong enough. And turning a bolt rather than pulling on it more likely
to damage the thread.

You don't turn the bolt in the riv nut you screw a nut down on a rod
threaded into the riv nut if you do not have professional tools and that
is perfectly satisfactory although time consuming and you can put a
thrust race under the nut if you have one.

Have you actually done this? As I said a size I often use is M3. Just to
provide an easier fixing than fiddling with nuts an bolts - so access to
both sides. And haven't found 3mm screws strong enough to set it. Might
work if you can source high tensile types, though.

Yes but used high tensile and sometimes stainless threaded rod (can not
remember grade)

Thing is that M3 arbors are pretty expensive. So I'd guess made out of
expensive material.