Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dangerous water feature.

On 13/05/2018 22:44, Graham. wrote:
On 13/05/2018 14:04, Max Demian wrote:
On 13/05/2018 13:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that Robin formulated :
Yes, but the context of the text I quoted was a *different* point -
viz "I have never understood why *wholly* [emphasis added] plastic
earth pins are not allowed."

I would imagine that is because if a brass pin is actually needed, the
partially sleeved ones have more of a tendency to break. On something
which requires an earth, the last thing you want is an internally
broken earth pin, which might still allow you to plug the plug into a
socket.

Plastic earth pins are allowed on the likes of phone chargers, even
folding ones. There, just to push the shields out of the way.

They tend to break off, then you have to plug the device into the same
socket and nothing else there. I don't know whether they are still made,
but you could get 13A sockets which didn't rely on the earth pin to open
the shutter - you just had to insert pins into both line and neutral
simultaneously. That's a better idea as devices that don't require an
earth just need two pins. Our 13A plugs and sockets are rather a rubbish
design.

MK sockets work(ed?) like that, but it has the disadvantage that people
can plug an unfused, 2-pin shaver lead into a 13A socket.

SteveW

I have a house full of those MK sockets, and you can't plug a UK
shaver plug into one. You can however easily plug a Europlug into
them. I believe MK tweaked the design in later production sockets so
that a Europlug does not open the shutter.

Many shavers seem to come with European pins - which makes sense. Why
produce a special UK version when shaver sockets usually cater for both
types. My shaver lead will definitely fit a 13A socket.

SteveW