Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default OT Jury service. At 75? Are they serious? Again.

In article , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes
Marland wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
Some of you may remember that last September, at the age of 75, I
was summoned for jury service for the first time in my life. Since
I can't stay awake after 1:00 without having a sleep. I wrote to
them, with supporting evidence, that I was 75 and diabetic. I got
off.

Now I have been "randomly selected" again for jury service. I'm
aware the random numbers can, in the short term, exhibit peculiar
effects but I'm still cynical.

I'll just repeat the process that worked last time. Roll on 76.

Another Dave

I did read somewhere that if you just ignore the letter they will
find somebody else.
Is this true?

I suppose they would have to get somebody else if a cranky Judge
jailed you for contempt of court.
Probably unlikely , £1000 pound fine is what you risk.

GH

Just how can ignoring a letter /not replying be viewed as contempt of court?

If a judge decides it's contempt of court then it is contempt of court -
end of.
I often get letters delivered to me which are not for me. I shove them back
into the post box with "Not known at this address" written on the envelope.

--
bert