Posted to alt.windows7.general,uk.d-i-y

Default Seagate abandon remote access to their 'Central' NAS

On 13/05/2018 21:05, dennis@home wrote:
On 13/05/2018 13:57, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/05/2018 09:25, dennis@home wrote:
On 12/05/2018 22:47, Roger Mills wrote:

Any ideas?

Get a pi zero w and setup a VPN so your NAS appears as a local
devices when you log in from the internet.

You can set the firewall to only allow access to the NAS if you want.

They cost about £17 with a PSU.

You could even put your NAS disk in a USB case and use the pi as a
NAS server if speed isn't a problem.

Many routers have built in VPN servers - and for that matter can share
a USB HDD over the network. The Pi may not be needed at all.

SteveW

Most routers are full of bugs and security holes so I wouldn't trust
them. What was the last time you got a security fix for your router?

I've had 3 updates to its firmware in the last 2 years.

SteveW