Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default A/C vs. swamp cooler?

On Sun, 13 May 2018 19:22:08 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Sun, 13 May 2018 11:00:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/13/2018 9:22 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Well in my standard bedroom on the 1st (USA) or ground (UK) floor, I can
still only get out of the door. The window only opens at the top. And
anyone with a 2 storey house who sleeps upstairs has the same problem.
Unless someone provided a ladder for you to climb down, you're ****ed.

Fire truck will have a ladder. If the fire is forcing me out though,
I'd jump and risk a broken leg rather than burn to death.

The two front windows on my house exit to a porch roof, and the
window at the end of the hall exits to the garage roof which joins the
porch roof, where it is only a 9 foot drop to the ground, or to the
back of the garage where it is about 11 feet.
The main floor has 3 exits - front porch, rear deck, and through
garage. The basement exit is via stairs directly to the garage door.
If therer was a garage fire spread into the house and I was in the
basement "my goose may be cooked". There is a functioning smoke alarm
at the top of the basement stairs, as well as in the basement, the
living room of the main floor, and at the top of the stairway to the
upstairs, as well as CO detectors on each floor (2 in the basement)

Severe pessimist.

--
A recent study found that the average Aussie walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found that Aussies drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.