Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default Modern boilers are noisy

On Sun, 13 May 2018 14:14:42 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 13/05/2018 13:48, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 13 May 2018 13:17:15 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
Yup. But then I often wonder why so many have their boiler in the kitchen
- perhaps the most used room in the house. And often where space is at a
premium.

In our case, we have a large kitchen and the space it occupies (in a
matching cupboard unit) would have been just dead space anyway.

It is the third boiler to be fitted there, since the original, 22mm
pipes + gas were there and for the condensate, there was a drain
directly behind it. The location makes it also easy to keep an eye on
its operation and over ride the time clock for an impromptu bath, or
more HW when required for washing up.

Besides, where else would we put it? I wouldn't want it in the living
room, nor the bedrooms. The utility is already pretty full and wouldn't
be that useful to place it there.

Noise of the boiler is not that much of a problem, it is barely
audible.

Ours was originally in the cupboard under the stairs, we replaced it with one
that we put in the attic.

With a condensing boiler you need somewhere for the condensate to drain.
Easy in the kitchen, but just having a pipe poking out of the wall risks
freezing.

Which 50% seem to have. Don't plumbers understand freezing pipes? Condensate should drain into an inside drain.

--
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d.