Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Rivet nuts.

On Sun, 13 May 2018 12:57:58 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Ideally this is aimed at those who have actually used 'Rivet Nuts' in
a professional / commercial environment please ...

Not really, but I used at home to fix a tubular stair handrail

Ok, but you have used them at least. ;-)

So, I was wondering if these Rivet Nuts could provide a practical
solution (assuming they could replace conventional nuts etc)

I certainly got rock-solid fixing from them

Gdgd.

and if so does anyone have any practical / personal recommendations
re makes or suppliers please?

I used A2 stainless grooved rivnuts from About Town Bolts

Thanks Andy ... looks like these might do it:
https://www.abouttownbolts.co.uk/product/a2-stainless-small-head-open-grooved-rivet-nuts-rivnuts-nutserts-blind-nut/

Should we use the special tool (again, production speeds aren't an
issue here) or can a simple bolt and back nut and a thrust bearing or
some washers provide the same effect?

I got the el-cheapo Silverline tool, which was OK for fitting a dozen
rivnuts, but probably not designed for stainless as it came off slightly
worse for wear.

And only goes up to 8M etc.

I could turn up a tool to allow the nut to be drawn 'square' and as
long as you don't turn the thread in the insert whilst drawing, I
can't see how doing it that way would be much different to using the
tool etc. At the end of the day, even if it wasn't fully seated during
the fitting process, it would be when the fastening was finally made?

I should be able to 'see' (even if I can't actually get to) the
finished nuts and as Dave suggested, I could do some tests on some
matching scrap in any case.

Cheers, T i m