Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rivet nuts.

T i m wrote:

Ideally this is aimed at those who have actually used 'Rivet Nuts' in
a professional / commercial environment please ...

Not really, but I used at home to fix a tubular stair handrail

So, I was wondering if these Rivet Nuts could provide a practical
solution (assuming they could replace conventional nuts etc)

I certainly got rock-solid fixing from them

and if so does anyone have any practical / personal recommendations
re makes or suppliers please?

I used A2 stainless grooved rivnuts from About Town Bolts

Should we use the special tool (again, production speeds aren't an
issue here) or can a simple bolt and back nut and a thrust bearing or
some washers provide the same effect?

I got the el-cheapo Silverline tool, which was OK for fitting a dozen
rivnuts, but probably not designed for stainless as it came off slightly
worse for wear.