Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Jury service. At 75? Are they serious? Again.

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
On 12/05/2018 19:44, NY wrote:

I loathe and detest the conscription aspect of jury service. I feel very
strongly that being a juror should be a full time profession that you
choose to do, not a so-called duty that you cannot evade unless you have
a very good excuse and which takes you away from your normal life - and
then can't even talk about afterwards except in very general terms.

I agree. One or two days might be OK so long as it does not clash with
something else, but some cases go on for a long time.

Do we really need a jury system, the OJ Simpson trial demonstrated that it
does not always work very well?

No examples of that in Britain. And some examples of where
the jury has chosen to let someone off when that makes sense
to, even if the judge etc doesnt agree with that result.

When I go to foreign countries no one ever says to me that they wished
they had our system

Thats just stupid foreigners who dont know any better,
even after the result the krauts got in living memory.