Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Electricity check meter....

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Robin wrote:
On 13/05/2018 09:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim K laid this down on his screen :
Can anyone point me to the simplest way(s) to check my digital
leccy meter plse?

Something non invasive would be preferable.

Rough check - turn everything off, except for one 1Kw heater. Run it
for
60 minutes and the meter should clock up exactly 1Kilowatt hour.

I think that would be better with "roughly" in place of "exactly" given
there's not just the vagaries of the manufacturer's rating but also the
variation in supply voltages. I reckon the 2 combined could easily be
plus or minus 20 percent - roughly

How many people have houses where doing this is remotely practical?

Almost everyone except for the voltage and load problem.

Firstly you don't want to have virtually nothing in the house working
for an hour (heating, cooking, radio/TV, internet, whatever)

Even sillier than you usually manage, and thats saying something.

and secondly there are almost certainly things that you can't
easily turn off while leaving a circuit live for the 1kW fire.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and thats saying something.

Yes, it *could* be done but it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and thats saying something.