Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Jury service. At 75? Are they serious? Again.

Jeff Layman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And since I stopped working for the govt I have avoided being on
the electoral role so I dont have to vote given voting is compulsory
here so maybe thats why I havent been called since. Tho its more
likely they dont track who stops working for the govt or something.

I thought that it was compulsory to be on the electoral role in Oz.

In theory it is, but in practice its completely unenforceable.

Over here, we have to complete a form (once a year IIRC) asking who at the
address the form has been sent to is eligible to vote, or is about to
become eligible to vote (by their age).

They used to have someone show up every couple of years and ask
who lives there, but that hasnt happened for over a decade now.

And when they left the card, I just ignored that.

They did send me letters for a while demanding an answer
with threats about what would happen if I didnt answer but
I just ignored them and dont even get the letters anymore.

Failure to complete and return the form (to the local council) is an
offence.

It is here too, but they have no way of enforcing that.

I can't say that I've ever understood the reason behind the Oz law for
compulsory voting.

Its always been one of those controversys.

Do they think it gives some legitimacy to the voting process?

They rightly believe that while ever its compulsory, more will bother to
vote.

When I was still on the roll, I just said I was sick that day when they
demanded to know why I hadn't voted and nothing happened when I did.

Apparently now they can fine you anyway, most
obviously when you say that with every election.

Mind you, $20 is a small price to pay for avoiding to vote for the bunch
of crooks you have over there.

Thats only the penalty for not voting in a federal election.
Its $55 with state and local govt elections in my state.

Over here, it would have to be at least twice as much...

Its more than that here. $124 in South Australia.