Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimW TimW is offline

Default Wood expansion

On 12/05/18 17:36, TimW wrote:
On 07/05/18 20:31, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have just installed a 1.4m X 150mm X 50mm spruce beam between the
garage and house. At present it is a good interference fit but I am
a little worried when it gets saturated it might expand and put
pressure on the brickwork. Is there any place I might find the
information?

general wet to dry expansion is around 1% along the grain, 3%
tangentially roundn the trunk and 5% radially

But if constrained it should be OK.

You have got that a bit wrong.
TW

You are right. The tangential and radial rates should be swapped.

Exactly. And no bit of wood expands/shrinks 1% along the grain, ever.
TW