Posted to uk.d-i-y
pinnerite pinnerite is offline

Default OT Jury service. At 75? Are they serious? Again.

Another Dave wrote:

Some of you may remember that last September, at the age of 75, I was
summoned for jury service for the first time in my life. Since I can't
stay awake after 1:00 without having a sleep. I wrote to them, with
supporting evidence, that I was 75 and diabetic. I got off.

Now I have been "randomly selected" again for jury service. I'm aware
the random numbers can, in the short term, exhibit peculiar effects but
I'm still cynical.

I'll just repeat the process that worked last time. Roll on 76.

Another Dave

When I was about 36 I served on a murder case at the Old Bailey.
After the verdict, the judge decreed that this had been a horrible cvase and
a nasty experience for the jury and that all should be excused further
service for life.

About 10 years later I was called to St Albans Crown Court. I wrote to the
jury office asking if it was normal practise for the system to ignore the
recommendation of a senior judge.

I was excused and haven't heatrd a word since. I'm 79. Do you think I'm off
the hook?
Alan