Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Curtain rail fixing

On Friday, 11 May 2018 19:36:16 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
brought next idea :
It'd help to tell us what the wall really is.

I think he is maybe hitting a concrete or steel lintel, just above the
window - hence the 'solid' comment, rather that 'solid plaster'.

It might be best to try to drill fixings above the lintel, if there is
space above, or work out whether it is steel or concrete and use an
appropriate drill bit. If steel, it would have to be drilled and tapped
with a thread and a machine screw used. If concrete it will be very hard,
so may need something like an SDS drill and bit to make an impression.

If it really is just plaster, a good technique is to make a larger than
needed hole, fill with car body filler, then push a wall plug into that
and leave to set.

If there is no lintel at all, how does the top of the window not collapse?
Mine I think is wood as I've noticed it before, but where I needed to drill
was above it.
Brian

they do generally stay up, I've seen such constructions at times. And I've seen them thinking about not staying up too.

NT