Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default OT Jury service. At 75? Are they serious? Again.

Another Dave wrote:
Some of you may remember that last September, at the age of 75, I was
summoned for jury service for the first time in my life. Since I can't
stay awake after 1:00 without having a sleep. I wrote to them, with
supporting evidence, that I was 75 and diabetic. I got off.

Now I have been "randomly selected" again for jury service. I'm aware
the random numbers can, in the short term, exhibit peculiar effects but
I'm still cynical.

I'll just repeat the process that worked last time. Roll on 76.

Another Dave

AIUI, once you have been chosen and excused prior to the event for some
reason, you are put back in near the top of the pile and so likely to
get chosen again soon.
If however you turn up and are then not called, excused or whatever you
seem to be regarded as having willingly done your civic duty and back in
the pile for random selection. If then you are chosen within the next 2
years, I think that you can refuse.
I got called for the first time at age 64, attended, wasted time in the
jury room but was never selected and has sent home after about 3 days in
5 attendance.
Made it impossible to commit to any other engagements as I was having to
phone in each afternoon to see if I had to go in the next day.