HA HA Budys Here

Default 1st Home

From: "Michael J. Anderson"

Our first home!!! :-)

My wife and I will be moving into our first home in early February. I
want to make the home a very economically functioning unit. We need a
new refrigerator and dish washer ASAP and I was wondering what does one
look for as far as operational efficiency?

Thank you,
Michael

For the 'fridge, look at the Energy-efficiency label. It's a large yellow tag
or sticker on the front of the unit, or in some showrooms, hanging inside one
of the compartments.

Don't be concerned with the price differences between similar units - the REAL
cost of a refrigerator/freezer is it's operating costs. After I replaces a 15
year olg GE side-by-side with the icemaker and water through the door, with a
similar brand new model, my electric bill was cut in half.

All newer units need to meet new, stringent guidelines anyway, and it seems the
more you spend, the better your efficiency. It's worth every penny.

And If you're getting a side-by-side unit with an ice dispenser, I highly
recommend one that has the ice cube bin in a removable bucket-style on the
freezer door.

As for dishwashers, you either go cheap, loud and plastic inner shell, and keep
for 10 years, or... expensive, quiet, and stainless steel interior, keep for 20
years.