Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Broken cold inlet pipe from hot water tank bottom ... Is it mendable ? How ?

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
On Thu, 10 May 2018 13:26:41 -0700 (PDT), George Miles
wrote:

I have found some old water pipe which just fits inside the broken pipe, what

if I cut off 6 inches off it, smear it with araldite, and hammer it in?

Or PTFE tape? (its not threaded)

Or Fernox Jointing compound which I have a small tin of?

Anything you do is going to involve removing the tank. The chances of
a successful repair are low and the consequences of subsequent
catastrophic failure (tank rapidly emptying contents over floor) are
high. Given that the greatest effort is removing and refitting the
tank I'd go for a replacement rather than attempting a repair with a
poor chance of success.

Just replace the damm thing if you haven't already, a few connections to
do it'll be better insulated and I expect the existing one is full of
calcium based crap in the bottom as they tend to do after many years of
use..

no brainier really!....

--
Tony Sayer