Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth Sleeving for 10mm T+E?

In article ,
ARW wrote:
The idea of the sleeving is to minimise the possibility of a short. And
the end of the outer sheath is often nicely positioned to catch a
terminal. Twisting earths together all their length also makes it more
difficult to 'page' the runs neatly. But carry on doing this if you are
too mean to pay for more lengths of sleeving.

TBH earth sleeving and the PVC coverings of the L&N cores are not going
to do much against a short caused by a socket screw. The live cores
should in most cases be semi enclosed inside a terminal to prevent a
fault (ie no bare copper sticking out on the live terminals).

Yes it's unlikely. But if impossible, no point in using sleeving at all. I
doubt even dennis needs to know which one is the earth wire with TW&E by
its colour.

Interestingly the Americans don't use CPC sleeving in any video I've
ever seen. And their line terminals are often extremely exposed as a pan
head screw you turn the conductor under. That's one case where I think
it would have a provable benefit.