Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Earth Sleeving for 10mm T+E?

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
In article ,
jkn wrote:
Well ... I have currently got the incoming and outgoing earths twisted
together for a length (2--3 inches), and I doubt it will fit that. I was
hoping not to have to separate them and have them joined in the screw
terminal. But if that is what people do, fair enough...

Twisting together then fitting sleeving over both doesn't insulate the
earth properly, as it will still be exposed at the sheath end.

Do you insulate the metal boxes they connect to?

The idea of the sleeving is to minimise the possibility of a short. And
the end of the outer sheath is often nicely positioned to catch a
terminal. Twisting earths together all their length also makes it more
difficult to 'page' the runs neatly. But carry on doing this if you are
too mean to pay for more lengths of sleeving.

TBH earth sleeving and the PVC coverings of the L&N cores are not going
to do much against a short caused by a socket screw. The live cores
should in most cases be semi enclosed inside a terminal to prevent a
fault (ie no bare copper sticking out on the live terminals).

However I think dennis is asking if the earth sleeving protects against
a earth/earth fault between socket and metal back box should you put the
socket screw through the green/yellow insulation and catch the cpc
(earth) cable with the screw.

Now I seem to recall that you always fit an earth flylead between
sockets and backboxes.

--
Adam