Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
NY NY is offline

Default Telephone problem

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
BT line with phone and broadband.

Broadband is working OK and that has its own socket on the master
socket.

I can only get the phone working if I plug directly into the socket
behind the face plate on the master socket. If I plug into the socket
on the faceplate, I don't get anything at all. BT have suggested that
the micro filter on the faceplate has failed, but I've replaced that
with a new one, and that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions on where to start looking next ?

Sounds like a problem in the phone wiring after the socket. Disconnect and
see if a phone now works on the faceplate one.

Yes, I think some of us were fed astray when the OP said that he'd tried a
different filter. I assumed that he'd tried a separate "dangly" filter, as
opposed to a replacement faceplate, and therefore that he'd eliminated the
house wiring and yet still had the problem. When he said that it was a
replacement faceplate, with the extension wiring reconnected, that changed
things a bit - we hadn't after all eliminated the extension wiring from the
equation.