Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Wax over stain on oak?

On 5/9/2018 11:00 AM, Rick the antique guy wrote:

Another Great Product I like is Waterlox Tung oil Varnish
https://www.waterlox.com/

Yes, I used this on a record cabinet I made about 40 years ago. Still
looks good to this day. Have no idea why I never used it again, as it
was easy to apply and quite durable. The record cabinet does not get
abused. Table tops I've used almost exclusively poly because it is
durable and unaffected by water/alcohol and about every thing else other
than 4 year olds with a knife carving initials. I only recently
re-discovered shellac. Never liked it because of how it water stains so
easily. I now prefer it over most everything if it's not a table top.

I thin this stuff with Naptha water consistency and hand rub up to 20 coats.
I daily yep up to 20 days worth wet sanding 1000 grit between make sure its very dry and free from moisture between wet Sanding and rubs I make a pad like You would for French Polish for this. The finish dries Hard and is very durable like a Samurai Sword when completely cured after a couple of weeks. All good things take time. I have refinished many Antiques and Acoustic Guitars with this process.

Wow, I never put that much into a finish, way too lazy.

I also love Working with Behlen Stringed Instrument nitrocelluloce Laquer.
https://www.shellac.net/instrument_lacquer_howto.html
on a newer project or replacement part to a laquer finished piece.

I will post a new Question about shellac flat if someone Has used it.
rick B.

I never used it, never heard of it actually. I sometimes have a hard
time deciding glossy or satin varnish... speaking of varnish, for
construction wood (fir/spruce used for work benches and such) I like
varnish, spar varnish. I like how it yellows, no stain. Poly doesn't
yellow much so preserves the ugly look of construction grade firs. Also,
I've used BLO a lot with clear shellac or poly overcoat for the same
reasons.

The last larger piece I've made was a dresser a couple years ago, and I
can't remember what finish I used. (it's written on the cabinet back
though). Amazing because I clearly remember what I used on that record
cabinet 40 years ago... age is funny sometimes.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com