Posted to sci.electronics.repair
J.B. Wood[_2_] J.B. Wood[_2_] is offline

Default Flourescent lamp switch

On 05/09/2018 08:40 AM, wrote:
There is no reason on this planet to maintain a starter-based fluorescent fixture as such.
a) It is an energy pig.
b) The lamps required contain a relatively large amount of mercury.
c) They are relatively short-lived.
d) There is an LED equivalent available for very nearly every vintage fluorescent lamp ever made in any quantity.

So, whether one type of Luddite-approved technology is better than another does not change the fact that it remains Luddite-Approved technology.

Now, in answer to Tom's question on what to do with his "new" lamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNYpxc6stMo

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Hello, and aren't you the same Peter from over at
rec.antiques.radio+phono that I would assume appreciates having access
to that luddite tech such as vacuum tubes? I have a few antique soft
drink and beer advertising signs that use fluorescent tubes, coil
ballasts and starters. It's nice to know I can still inexpensively and
easily maintain them in original condition without having to rely on
used or NOS (at least for now) components. (I don't turn the signs on
every day so the lamps and starters tend to last a very long time.)
Antique and nostalgia issues aside, there are cogent arguments, as you
point out, for replacing the innards of an assembly with newer tech, if
feasible (cost of components, fits the footprint of the enclosure, etc.)
Otherwise dispose/recycle it and purchase a modern equivalent. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: