Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smelly Oil (Kerosene)

On 08/05/2018 11:09, alan_m wrote:
On 08/05/2018 10:49, Michael Chare wrote:
On 08/05/2018 10:23, wrote:
Hi All,

We recently had our tank refilled and it was very smelly within about
5 meters in any direction of it over the weekend. My feeling was that
this was just normal for the weather we had this weekend. But my wife
thinks there must be a problem.

So, are your tanks also smelly at the moment?

In general my oil tank does not smell. I suspect you have a leak.

More likely if it has just had a recent delivery that there is a minor
spill or overflow of diesel foam from the expansion vent.

Or because it's just been refilled possibly some spillage outside of the
tank.

+1
Last summer in very hot weather I was standing on top of a fuel tankĀ* nk
(one foot on a ladder, one foot on the tank) cutting down a friend's
overgrow hedge and despite a prolonged spell of hot weather in the
preceding couple of weeks no smell of fuel was detected.

I generally notice a trace from the expansion vent but nothing more than
that. A good indicator of a leak is next time it rains hard look for
rainbow like interference colours on the wet surfaces near to the tank.

If it is a metal tank it might be worth getting someone to do a
thickness test as they eventually fail on the boundary between the water
accumulated at the bottom of the tank and the oil. Leakage tends to be
faster when there is a full tank of oil above providing the pressure.

My old one was shown to be rust held together by Hammerite when it was
replaced - it looked fine externally but had rotted on the inside.

But my money is on the recent delivery being a bit messy. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown