Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Wax over stain on oak?

On 5/6/2018 3:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 10:40:32 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 7:54:16 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
The case and legs, especially the legs, will get the occasional bump or scratch, but a quick rewax and you are good to go,

I vote wax, also.

Additionally (blather?):
Another option, for temporarily repairing leg/case scratches and dings, is to use a wax crayon. "Color" over the scratch/ding, with an appropriate color, rub to create heat. If you ever need to refinish, the wax is easily removed using the remover.

Several fairly good paste waxes, out there, as long as they don't contain too much oil, if any, or if they don't contain silicone. I often use Pate' Dugay.... kinna expensive, in various colors, but a can lasts a long long time. It doesn't take much to wax a piece, so a can will last very long time. Might not be worth the expense, if not used often enough. I do part-time upholstery; I fairly often wax/polish the woodwork of a piece, with Pate' Dugay, before the reupholstering.

I used Tre-Wax on raw ER cedar wood display cabinet/open shelf unit, 35-40 yrs ago. reapplied 15-20 yrs ago. Still nice and smooth, looks nice, easy to dust, no color fading (that I'm aware of).

Sonny

"no color fading (that I'm aware of)"

I believe it was Jack that made the same claim about a something he
made/bought/not_sure many years ago. When somebody pushed back, he managed
to find a spot that was hidden from the light all those years. He came back
and humbly expressed his amazement at how much it had actually faded. Living
with a piece day in and day out without something "new" to compare it to,
you'll never notice the slow change.

Twas I and it was a walnut piece I'd made about 35+ years ago, and
finished with spray lacquer, no stain.

My self, since the top is cement, I would finish the rest with anything
but wax. I was never a fan of just wax, prefer shellac, lacquer,
varnish, poly, oil. In this case I probably would use several coats of
shellac since water/alcohol contact is unlikely. If I made it, I
probably would have considered a danish oil stain, particularly if you
want oak to be stained dark as in walnut. Shellac is my favorite though,
easy to spray or apply with a rag and always looks great on hardwood.

I've never done a cement top though. What would you seal that with?
Nothing? Thompsons? I dunno.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com