Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Nice Natural Stains

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 2:03:14 PM UTC-4, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.woodworking, Rick the antique guy wrote:
Thru the years I have discovered some nice natural stain recipes
but I am always searching for more.

Interesting list. I know people who dye yarn using natural dyes, I
wonder if those methods would work with wood, too.

Dried black beans soaked for 24 hours is used for purple.

Onion skins (from yellow onions) for yellow / orange.

Avocado pits for pink.

And there are a lot of mushroom based dyes.

Elijah
------
hasn't personally used them for anything more than easter eggs
Elijah

I tried natural dyes on Easter eggs one year and they came out so-so,
certainly not as a bright as the commercial egg decorating kits.

We tend to go a little overboard when we do eggs, but as long as my mid-
twenties daughters and SWMBO want to do it, I'll keep the tradition alive.

We got a late start this year and only did a dozen, but we got 'em done.

https://i.imgur.com/DCc40uR.jpg