Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default For those that want to build arduino projects without programmingtry XOD.io

On 08/05/2018 14:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 17:40:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Next is add a wind speed sensor and direction, the direction is hard,
maybe a grey scale encoded disk and some optical sensors unless someone
has an easier way?

My Oregon Scientific WX200 station uses a stationary reed switch and
moving magnet for wind speed. Direction is from a variable resistor
with no stops and a track that almost meets.

A Grey encoded disc would be a little coarse unless you had a lot of
"bits" and some means of getting each of those bits to your 'duino.
Variable pot the resolution is down to the number of bits of you ADC,
8 bits - 1.4 degrees. Must see if I can source one, the one in
service is begining in to show it's age, maybe up to 20 years.

That's doing well, the bearing failed in my maplin wind speed sensor
after only 7 years. Note: must get a new bearing off ebay now maplin
don't do spares.